Monday, February 8, 2010

Double Portrait-Max Beckmann

The piece that I have chosen to write about is Max Beckmann's Double Portrait. At the museum we were assigned to analyze a painting with a partner so I felt that I got the most out of this painting since I was discussing it for a while. The piece did not immediately grab me but after studying it for a minute I realized that there was something about it I really liked. The first thing that really catches the viewer's attention is how the light plays with the senses. It is a dark piece but it is also very lit. The way Beckmann uses the candle to light the most important part of the painting, along with how he uses shadow, is truly remarkable. I usually take note when the artist uses the three primary colors which he does here in various ways. I feel this makes the painting more intense which really works for this piece. The detail in the lack of detail makes the painting very fascinating to look at since the simple is seamlessly combined with the complex. This creates a juxtaposition that could keep the viewer looking for hours. Although all of these are very special, I feel the crowning achievement of this painting are the faces of the two men. These faces are very unique in that it is hard for the viewer to grasp exactly what they are feeling. I would say they are both looking at the same thing, feeling similar, but not identical emotions. I cannot say what they are feeling though since I'm sure Beckmann's intention was not to deliberately give these men obvious emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment